Do you think that starting and maintaining an indoor garden is too expensive for you? If your answer is yes, then think again as there are actually simple, but effective ways to lower the cost of your indoor garden without sacrificing anything huge. If you are interested in starting your own indoor garden and are looking for ways to save, you can consider these following things:
- To save money, instead of buying expensive chemical-based fertilizers for you plants, you can have your own compost pit/ compost bin right at home. Set it up outside your house and let your family use it to dispose biodegradable leftovers such as vegetable and fruit peelings. Just make sure to add sawdust, grass clipping and pine straw to your bin to make sure that it will become a fertilizer. Aside from letting you save money, you will have organic fertilizer that is more ideal and healthy.
- Instead of using tap water, you can just collect rainwater to lower the operating cost of your indoor garden. You can do this by making a gutter system and connecting it to a filter and collecting drum. By doing this, you will also be able to help conserve water.
- As for grow lights, you may be thinking that you will save more if you will buy HPS and HID grow lights that are usually cheaper than a LED light. The truth is, it is the other way around. If you want to save more money in the long run, your best choice is going with a LED. First of all, the LED grow lights do not consume too much electricity so you will save on your electric bill. In addition to this, LED lights can last longer also so you will not have to change lights often. In fact, a LED light can last for up to 10 years so it really is a good long term investment. Lastly, LED lights are a very good choice if you want your plants to grow faster and healthier as compared to other options.
- If you want to save more by lowering your electric bill, you can consider installing a grow tent. The reflective-coated wall feature of grow tents can help you save on electricity by bouncing more light around your indoor garden room.
These are just some of the ways that you may do to help lower the cost of maintain your indoor garden. If you really want to start your own garden, your low budget should not hinder you as long as you know what to do with what you have.
Are you considering building a greenhouse for your plants? If your answer to this question is yes, then we have some tips that can help you out with this.
A greenhouse, which is also known as a glasshouse, is a structure where plants are grown inside. To help you understand even more the concept of using a greenhouse, we will be listing some important information that you may want to know to help you decide if you want to have one:
- Using a greenhouse for your plant can expand your gardening horizons. You can grow almost whatever plant you want any time of the year. As you may know, there are some seasonal plants, with a greenhouse, your growing season lasts all-year round.
- If the outside condition in your place makes it impossible for you to grow the plants that you want, a green house is the answer to your problem. Even if it is winter, you can still grow your plants as long as you have a greenhouse. For example, you want to have summer veggies during wintertime; you can still have them fresh from your greenhouse structure.
- Elegant greenhouses are usually seen in mansions, but what you need to know is that there are also cheap greenhouses available. Most of the time, they are available in kits, which you need to assemble. If you want, you can also build your own from scratch in order to save more money. What we are trying to say is that you do not need a huge amount of money to start your own greenhouse.
- You can grow virtually almost anything in your greenhouse. Of course, there are still exceptions, but the good thing is, the limitations are rare.
- You also need to take note that the heating system is important in greenhouses especially during the cold months of the year. The heating system increases the plant options that you can grow.
- Another important thing you need to consider is the artificial lighting fixture. It may be a limiting factor if you decide not to use your lights to extend the day during wintertime.
- The concept of greenhouses revolves around creating any environment that you want. Since you can create your own environment, you can grow almost any type of plant may it be edible and ornamental.
These are just some of the things that you need to know about when deciding if you want to us a greenhouse to help you grow your plants. If you are looking for a good place to house the plants that you want to grow, a greenhouse is your best option.
When it comes to buying a grow light, one of the things that you need to look at is the spectral output of these lights sources. With an indoor garden you would preferably want a light that is as close to the Sun as possible as it will help your plants and flowers grow better. We have talked about our new LED grow light the ARC Series before and how it is able to produce almost the same power as the Sun but use less electricity. Instead of just talking about how it can do this, we also wanted to show so you can see for yourself how powerful this grow light really is. We recently did some tests with our spectrometer and compared the spectral outputs for the Full Sun , the 600w HPS grow light, the DS XML 350 grow light and the Arc Series White Module and the results speak for themselves. As you can see, out of all of the options the ARC Series was the closest in being able to match the power of the Sun. If you are looking for a powerful grow light that can help your plants and flowers in your garden, stay tuned for more news about when we will be launching the ARC Series.
DS XML 350:
Over the years, we have seen a big change in the types of gardens people are creating to match their needs. If you are interested in starting your own garden, there are quite a few things to think about before starting. When it comes to deciding on what type of garden to stop, the key thing for you is finding the option that is the right fit. Here is a breakdown of some of the more common gardens that you can easily start to grow plants and flowers:
Basic Gardening- Under basic gardening, there are three types of gardens namely:
- Garden in Backyard- This is one of the simplest gardens to do. You just need to find a spot in your house/land that is sunny. The size available is not important. Just add plants as long as you like.
- Square-foot Garden- This is for people who do not have enough space. In this garden, 3-5 gallon pots are used.
- Raised Bed Garden- For those who enjoy DIY projects, this type of garden is for you. You will need to buy a raised bed for this.
Urban Gardening- Under urban gardening, these are some of the types of options you can consider if this is of interest to you:
- Grow Tent Garden- This is for you if you want to have a garden the simplest and fastest way possible. It comes with everything you need to grow your plants.
- Vivarium- This is a terrarium-style garden that is usually used for the more exotic types of plants.
- Closet Garden- If you want to have your own garden in your room, this is for you. You will need a grow light to ensure that your garden has adequate light.
“Out of the box” Gardening- For out of box gardening, these are some of the more popular options to consider:
- Trailer Garden- As the name implies, it is a garden within a trailer.
- Rooftop Garden- If you are thinking of a way to use your rooftop, you may want to build your own garden there.
With all of these different options for a garden, the main things that will be needed to make sure that the plants and flowers that you are trying to grow do so well, it takes:
- 1. Light- As we all know, plants need light for photosynthesis. If there is no natural light available, you can use grow lights for your indoor garden.
- 2. Air- This also includes carbon dioxide, temperature and humidity.
- 3. Water- This is also necessary for the plant’s life. You can use fresh water or rainwater.
- 4. Fertilizer- This is usually composed of grass clippings, leaves and organic kitchen waste.
- 5. Substrate- Acts as long-term nutrition storage for plants.
There you have it! Like mentioned before, when starting a garden one of the most important things that you will need to do is figuring out which is the best option for you.
Let’s be honest, LED grow lights aren’t cheap. Due to this, it is important that you take care of your LED grow lights so you can protect your investment. If you are wondering how this is possible, there is actually a simple way to ensure that your grow lights are protected. We are talking about the use of a power stabilizer. In this article, we will be tackling everything that you need to know about power stabilizers and LED grow lights in general. It is important for indoor gardeners to know about the two in order to have a smooth and successful indoor gardening hobby.
Before going into details about the power stabilizer, we will first discuss the advantages of getting LED grow lights.
- If you have LED grow lights, you will not need ballasts, reflectors, heat venting systems and air-conditioning. This is very important if you are looking for saving more money in the long run. The capital expenditure may not be very cheap, but it will let you save money by lowering operational costs.
- LED grow lights can decrease your electricity consumption. In fact, with LED, you can expect up to 60% less when it comes to consumption. This is a big advantage especially nowadays when the price for electricity is very high.
- Another advantage of LED grow lights is the heat that they emit. Since it can be placed near the plants, it is more efficiently used.
These are just some of the advantages of LED grow lights and why they are so popular for indoor gardens. With going over the advantages of owning a LED grow light, it is now time to discuss what power stabilizer’s are and how they can protect your light. To protect your grow lights, power stabilizers are a great investment and something you should consider buying. The main purpose of the stabilizer is to regulate the voltage coming from your power box. Regulating the voltage is very important to avoid power fluctuations as voltage fluctuations can damage your grow lights.
These power drivers power the diodes of your grow lights. Also, it is important to ensure that there should be no down time during the critical stages of growth. This is the same for people who use solar power for their grow rooms as the system may also have power spikes and surges as well. If you want to protect your LED investment, you can purchase a power stabilizer that costs only around $20-50.
Did you know that you don’tt need a large backyard in order to grow some of your favorite vegetables? One thing that you can do instead of growing vegetables outside is to start an indoor vegetable garden even if your indoor growing space is not that spacious.
If you are worrying that an indoor garden will not produce the same quality vegetables as growing outside, think again. In fact some vegetables even grow better indoors and may be attributed to these reasons:
- Indoor, you have more control when it comes to temperature and humidity unlike when growing plants outdoors.
- The risk of your vegetables to be infested by pests is not that high.
- The risk of acquiring different diseases of plants is also not high.
- Most vegetables grow faster indoors if in a good environment.
Now, it is time to list the tips that can help you start an indoor vegetable garden. The guidelines listed below also contain some important things that you need to consider when starting one.
- First of all, you need to choose where to grow your vegetables. You can use the traditional soil or the water-based hydroponics system. If your space is really limited, it is better to use water instead of soil because it will take up less space. However, if you are just a newbie in gardening, it is recommended that you use soil because it is less technical and generally easier to maintain.
- If you will put your vegetables in a place where there is no natural light from the sun, you need to buy grow lights. Grow lights are important to make sure that your vegetables will grow healthy. According to reviews, the two most effective types of grow light are HPS and LED. One advantage of LED is that it does not produce too much heat that can burn the leaves of your plant. If you are using LED, a blue-colored wavelength spectrum is recommended for vegetables.
- Make sure that you provide your plant with enough water. To know if you have given enough, you can do the pat test. Pat the soil to check for dampness. If after patting, you notice soil in your fingers, it means that the soil is damp and you do not need to water it again.
These are just some of the tips that you can follow when it comes to starting your own indoor vegetable garden. Good luck and happy planting!
If you love gardening, but do not have enough space at home, you do not need to worry anymore. You can still start your own garden even if all you have is a small room. In this article, we will be listing some simple, but effective tips when it comes to growing plants in small spaces.
- If you want to grow plants indoor, be sure that you have at least 2 feet by 2 feet of space. For this area size, you will need 120 Watt LED grow light. Grow lights are important to ensure that your indoor plants are healthy and growing well.
- Your grow light should hang around two feet above your plants. Make sure that you have an allowance for the grow lights to be adjusted when the plants start to grow. As a rule, you should leave at least two more feet for adjustment. Most experts recommend the use of LED grow lights. However, it will still depend on what type you grow light you need.
- Do not forget to add a reflective material such as aluminum foil as an enclosure to your grow area.
- Since you have limited space, it is best to use soil for growing plants instead of building a more complicated hydroponic system.
- Be sure to have popular ventilation in your grow area. This is important to ensure that you have a good quality of air in the room. You may need to have an air conditioning system installed if possible.
- If your grow area is the closet, you should slide the closet door once in a while to provide fresh air. If you want, you can also just install a fan and an air duct as a venting system.
- It is important that you water your plants regularly. The ideal frequency is 2 to 3 times a day. However, it will still depend on many factors such as the type of plants that you have.
- When your plants are ready to flower, you can now stop adjusting your grow lights.
Growing plants in small spaces can be fun and easy to do if you follow these simple tips. If you need help looking for a grow light to help with your garden, checkout some of the lights that we have to offer that can help you!
The unpredictability of the weather in our time today is a major problem of gardeners. As we all know, some plants and crops are best planted outdoors in their natural environment. As much as gardeners want to put their plants under the sun, there are times when it is not possible because of so many different factors. This is one of the reasons why indoor gardening is slowly becoming a popular trend nowadays.
If you have been into indoor gardening for a long time, you may have heard by now about grow lights and how they can help. These are artificial lights that help plants grow healthily in a controlled environment are a great tool that a lot of indoor gardeners are currently using. It is important to take note that there are different types of grow lights you can try. The most common among the available types is the LED grow light. Now that we have a basic understanding about LED grow lights, we will now look at some simple ways that can help you maximize the use of your grow lights for your indoor garden:
- When using grow lights, you should not forget to regularly check the temperature of the environment. The ideal temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. You should bear in mind that a very low temperature can slow down a plant’s growth.
- Do not over water your plant when you are using the LED type of grow light. Too much water can slow the growth of plants and may even cause problems on nutrient uptake.
- Always check for the CO2 level. This is important to ensure the maximum growth of your plants.
- If you are wondering if you can use traditional lights for your plants, you should know that it might be useless. The light produced by traditional lights is actually not helpful for plants. Your best choice is still the LED grow light.
- To maximize the growth of you plants you need to know how to balance out the use of red and blue lights. Red lights are best for photosynthesis while the blue light is for growing vegetables and flowers.
These are just some useful and effective tips that can help with your indoor garden. LED grow lights are a great tool for your indoor garden and is currently the best grow light that can last for a very long time and will help with the growth of your plants and flowers. Wanting to know which LED light to chose, click here for more info.
As you already know, we’ve been working on this ambitious project for a couple of years now and we are finally getting closer to the finish line of launching this patent pending LED grow light to the market. We once again want to thank everyone who helped support our Kickstarter project, which will allow us to not only develop this new light but to also bring manufacturing back to the USA. We were able to exceed our goal of $52,000 and this couldn’t of been done without our loyal customers who want to see this new light come to the market.
Since the end of our Kickstarter project, we have been working hard on the ARC series. Since there has been so much interest on the progress of this LED light, we decided to share more images of the light turned on. We will be adding more updates on the ARC Series to this blog as we get closer to launching so make sure you come back, but in the meantime enjoy these new photos of this revolutionary LED grow light.
People who are into indoor gardening know that grow lights are very important in order to ensure the proper growth and development of plants. If you are just starting your indoor gardening hobby, you might get confused on what grow light to use. In order to help you understand more about the most popular types of grow lights, we’ve already compared LED lights to HPS lights and now we will be doing another comparison to make sure you pick the right light for you.
A grow light is a type of artificial light. It can stimulate growth in plants by emitting electromagnetic spectrum that is very vital for the process of photosynthesis. In this post, we will contrast two of the most widely used grow lights in the market today namely LED and HID grow lights. Before contrasting the two, you have to take note that HID includes High Pressure Sodium (HPS) and Metal Halide (MH) bulbs
- If you want to save on electricity, the better option for you is the LED. You can consume up to 70% lesser electricity with LED compared to the HID.
- When it comes to the heat produced, HID can give off up to 10% more heat compared to LED. LEDs are known for their near zero heat signature. This is one of the reasons why LED consumes lesser electricity and power. Since HID gives off more heat, you may need to install additional ventilation and air condition system.
- The LED type is best when it comes to the desired wavelengths of the light spectrum. This is important because proper wavelength is essential for photosynthesis and general growth of plants.
- LEDs are more economical in the long run. In fact, LEDs last longer up to 100 times in contrast to other grow lights available in the market. Aside from the longer life expectancy, the fact that you will not need to add additional ventilation system is a big plus. Just a tip, for the LED grow lights to last longer, you should use a power stabilizer for volt regulation.
The list above contains some of the differences between LED and HID lights. As you may have noticed, LED lights are better in many ways. Because of this, more growers prefer LEDs compared to High Pressure Sodium (HPS) and Metal Halide (MH) bulbs. According to experts, it is considered today as the most efficient method if you want to provide the best growth light for your plants.